Thursday, April 29, 2010

REBIRTH

I was dusting the cobwebs from a forgotten list of bookmarks and found this sitting here. Sudden thought: why not resurrect an old page that died before its time? Any attempt at writing these days feels like a resurrection of its own anyhow. The previous post -- dating back a full 2 years -- was an awkward, extended joke: my head was in a different space, and the website I was writing for just before encouraged that kind of shit. I'll leave it up as a reminder of what and how not to write, as I proceed into new territory.

This post is already feeling a bit dry in tone, though I'm sure it won't last long, if I actually proceed as planned. My inane brand of humor will probably seep through the cracks once I get my sea legs back and reacclimate to pulling words out of my head. For now I'm content to simply state my intentions: the repurposing of this blog as a place to ruminate and wax analytic on all things musically extreme. Though I'd like to focus primarily on metal -- and my tastes these days are running mainly in death metal, early grindcore, black metal, death/doom, and technical thrash -- I'll probably lapse and talk about other shit as well. And again, while this might feel pretty serious at the moment, I should state up front that I enjoy the laughably stupid side of metal as well. I legitimately like Blind Guardian. Honestly. I may not be a die-hard, but I like several aspects of the metal world, and that stuff will probably also appear on this blog. Simply put: it's all fair game.

The title of this blog, for anyone wondering, comes from a Glenn Branca symphony, famously made up 0f 100 electric guitars. Seeing it performed live at the Disney Concert Hall a few years back, the effect was jarring, and the physical sensation of utter discord left a definite impression. I probably won't spend much time writing about actual noise (though I just scored some old Whitehouse stuff), as my tolerance is pretty low, but I liked the name, and I stole it, and that's that.

Let it be known: I don't claim to have any expertise on my chosen subject, not at all. I'm merely a fan, and someone who spends a good chunk of my days thinking about metal, driving around listening to Immolation or Dark Angel or Electric Wizard or Godflesh, and I think I'd like to write about it. I play music actively (specifically bass guitar), but I'm neither sufficiently technically proficient nor infernally inspired to play metal properly. Some day perhaps, but not yet.

And that's where I'm at. Let's see what happens.

No comments: